It’s been a while since I’ve really used this space and a lot has been going on over the past few months.
At the moment, my husband and I are beginning the process of house hunting, which, honestly, is a bit of a big freak out for me.
After all, who in the universe decided that I was actually officially old enough now to be a full fledged adult? Seriously? Cause I’m pretty sure I’d like to renegotiate some of the terms.
And more specifically, I’d like to know when I will actually feel old enough to be said adult!
When I was younger my Mom once said that she still feels like the 16 year old girl she was, which, for my 16 year old self at the time… well, let’s just say I wasn’t the most polite in my appreciation of her comment. I think my response was something along the lines of “really? but you’re so old!”
The kicker? I’m only 6 years from being the age she was when she said it. Life is nothing if not a lesson in humility!
Back to the house hunting thing. How does one go about actually picking a house to live in for an untold amount of years. Cause honestly, the idea is that this is it. This is the house that we’ll stay in for years and years together. My husband has lived most of his life in one house and I’ve moved so many times that we’re both naturally inclined to only move this one last time if we can. But the pressure. Seriously. My over analytical nature is freaking out. Ok, not really, I’m being melodramatic for blogging effect. But you do have to appreciate the quasi conundrum that it creates. After all, how do you know what you’ll like or dislike in a house when you’ve never actually owned your own house before?
I’ve lived in so many apartments that it would make your head spin, but houses… well those have always belonged to my parents so I never really thought about it before now.
Here’s what I know so far:
- I need a kitchen that I can work in and has light. This is a deal breaker for me (it can be renovated but the space has to be conducive to said renovations).
- I need a dining room like space that fits 10 people comfortably. Family gathering, which is fairly big in my husband’s family, requires this.
- We need at least 3 bedrooms.
- Paul wants a garage and a basement
- I want storage space (Paul says this is what a basement is for… I’m willing to work with this).
- We both want a house that requires only minor, surfacy renovations.
Ideally I’d like to be within walking distance of the water and restos and cafes. Tall order, I know… but I have just the place in mind. We’ll see what the next months hold in store for us…