Noteworthy baby updates include:
- He is still a he. No, I will not post a picture of his junk on the web!
- He's sucking his thumb now. In our last ultrasound he was very active and waving his hands about. This time he didn't want to move much so the technician had to prod him a bit into action.
- I can feel him moving these days. I'm starting to notice that he moves more at certain times than others and he reacts to some foods.
- Apparently he doesn't like Indian food. Or rather, it isn't his favourite because he definitely acts up when I eat it. It's not a huge deal, but I'm suspecting that the mild indigestion that comes with spicy foods will get worse in 3rd trimester. Weak digestion when it comes to spicy foods = proof that this is totally Paul's son! Should I add that I'm not impressed with his less than stellar palate?
- We (I) hired a doula from MotherWit. I met with her (Sylvia) last week and I'm looking forward to working with her. I'm hoping that having a doula will help me get through childbirth naturally. Yes, you read that right, I want to do a drug free labour if possible. Also, it's just really reassuring to know that I'll have someone there to help me through the process that knows what is going on, cause let's face it, Paul and I are fairly clueless!
- All of our screening results have come back problem free so far, so we're both breathing big sighs of relief. No Down's markers, no heart problems, growth seems to be on track for our July due date.
- I'm starting to realize that life is going to need to slow down a bit more than I anticipated at this point. I burn out a lot more easily and need far more rest than I ever did before. Just when I start getting my energy back, I find myself needing to remember to take on less than I would normally. It's been a humbling and difficult lesson to realize that I just don't have my normal stamina, from standing, walking, even talking to students (because I get out of breath). I have 2 workshops to do in the next couple of weeks and I'm unsure how they're going to go given that I can't even have a normal conversation (read rant) without finding myself out of breath these days.
- But whatever, I have to admit that seeing my son's foot sort of makes it feel all worth it. How amazing is that, seriously? From the looks of it, we can probably safely assume that he won't be inheriting my toes (thank God cause I've got funny toes)!
- We're slowly trying to accumulate hand me downs for the baby (from cribs to rocking chairs and strollers). Part of it is about money, but an even bigger part (for me) is about trying to be as sustainable as possible when it comes to baby choices. We're going to try to paint the nursery in March and hopefully get things set up before I move into the 3rd trimester (cause I'd like to get as much down before I really can't breath or move)!
Yup, I think that's it for now. End baby updates.